“Joy does not simply happen to us. We have to choose joy and keep choosing it every day.”
– Henri Nouwen
So yesterday was a struggle to find Joy. Dan spent Saturday with the kids and didn't do nap time. Rawley slept for 45min in the morning and Madi didn't nap at all. Needless to say they were bears at 6pm. Rawley screamed the whole way home from Mom & Dad's. He was in bed by 6:45p and so beyond tired he was going between fussing and screaming all while rolling over, sitting up, standing up - anything but laying down and giving in to sleep. I was so frustrated Dan put me in that position. Daddy plays all day and Mommy has to deal with it. Great team effort, way to put forth your best effort. Real responsible. Madi was slightly less emotional but still had her little fit at bedtime. I put her to bed at 7:30p. I had two "Mommy, I gotta go potty" requests (with no result once she was on the potty) before I said that was enough - time to go to bed. She was quiet in her room but didn't stop fiddling with Buddy until after 8:30p. That was the last real movement I saw when I checked on her.
Rawley screamed out at 8p, 10p, 11:30p and 2am. And I didn't run in there everytime I heard him fuss so don't get that idea. I let him try to self-soothe for 5-10min. Then I'd go in to lay him down, give him monkey, his paci and cover him back up. He'd lay down until I moved away to leave then he'd pop back up in bed and start crying again. I'd continue to leave, stand outside his door for a few minutes then go back in and do the exact same thing if he didn't settle back down. At 11:30 and 2 I did that three times before I caved and picked him up to rock. Rawley woke up ready for the day at 6a. There was no way that was enough sleep so I rocked him again and when I put him down he slept til 7:45a. Then he was squawking to beat the band. Turns out he'd peed through so his shirt, pants and sheets were soaked. His crying woke Madi up so that was it for sleeping. I got from 12:15a til 2a and 2:30 til 6a to sleep. AWESOME. All because someone couldn't take care of his kid's needs instead of his own.
After playing all day outside the kids were in desperate need of a bath and certainly for Rawley since he'd wet through. I started the bath water and fixed cereal for Madi, dry cereal and blueberries for Rawley. I neglected to notice the sippy cup I gave Rawley was a soft spout one so while I was stripping his bed he squeezed the spout and poured milk all over his cereal and tray. Whatever, I'll fix that later. Bath water was ready so in he went. Madi managed to spill her milk cup on the counter and down the back of the couch. Perfect, keep eating your cereal and I'll clean it up once Rawley's out of the tub. I get Rawley washed up and semi-dressed. It was too early to get church clothes on so just an oversized tee. Madi's done with cereal so I get her down and undressed for bath time. Rawley's my shadow and right where I am all the time. I walk out of a room he cries. If I'm standing still he's grabbing my legs. I turn on Sprout TV, give him a sippy cup and go to wash Madi's hair. Rawley trips or falls down, screams because he was walking with his sippy cup when he fell. No blood and the teether from the fridge calms him down. I wash Madi's hair; she wants to play a little while longer. I go to clean up Madi's spilled milk and the couch. Rawley makes his way into the bathroom, throws his sippy cup in the bath which Madi freaks out about. Then pulls the toilet paper roll off the handle and puts it in the toilet. A full roll right in the non-flushed toilet. Sweet!
I went into Rawley's room, closed the door and sat in the rocker for a few minutes. Deep breaths. This is just a test; don't lose it. You'll get them back on track. I come out feeling a little better than before.
I notice it's a little after 9a so there's no way we're making it to church. Happy Mother's Day to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment