Friday, January 18, 2013

28.5 weeks



How far along?  28 weeks, 3 days
Total weight gain/loss: our scale= +13lbs, doctors scale= +8lbs
Maternity clothes? For the most part. If I know it's just me all day then I tend to grab the yoga pants or comfy new PJs I got for Christmas.
Stretch marks? Not that I can see.
Sleep:  What's that?? Sciatic nerve is nutso so I nap at night. I prefer not to think of it as sleep deprivation but re-training for having a newborn.
Best moment:  all of it - trying to enjoy every minute and find the happy

Miss Anything? pedicures and lunch dates
Movement: I think we have a kickboxer. He'll be so buff and tone with all the kicking and punching he does. Sorry little man, kicking and punching won't make your cocoon any bigger.
Food cravings: seems to be something different every day - couple days ago it was Sunny D, jug's half gone already
Anything making you queasy or sick: nope
Have you started to show yet: Very proud of my baby belly! Discovered the other day that I've lost my feet. I have to lean forward to be able to look down and see my feet.
Gender: BOY!
Labor Signs: not really
Belly Button in or out? just barely an innie
Wedding rings on or off? On.
Happy or Moody most of the time: happy and sleepy
Looking forward to: ultrasound next Wed

Will have to update with a photo later on, self portraits didn't turn out today...at all.


Had a blood pressure check today because it was really high at my 27 wk appt on the 9th. 160/100 high. That's a huge jump considering I've been at 120/80 for months and months. I had asked for permission to go into the office and work from the recliner since we have a new registrar I've been training and some of the procedures are paper based and much easier to explain in person with printouts. Doc said yes on a trial basis - 2 hours 2-3 times a week until our check-in on the 23rd. I did go in twice so I'm not sure if it was that or just a general relaxation of "bed rest" that might have put me in the spot I'm in now. I didn't pass today's blood pressure check - 150/85. Rats! 

Doc's a little concerned about pre-eclampsia. (fancy name for high blood pressure during pregnancy) Yesterday I woke up with a busted blood vessel in my eye - again - so I figured I wouldn't get a stellar bp reading today. Yes the "evil eye" is back! If that gets worse or acts different than last time I'm to follow up with Dr. Crabb as they're usually a symptom of high bp. Mernitz ran through all the interventions for high blood pressure:
        blood pressure medicine...check
        bed rest...check
        more water, less salt...check
        steroids...check
Uh, already doing all those things so what else? If it gets real bad and starts to affect me or baby then we get to talk about delivery. Fantastic. Right now I'm just going to take it easy, pay attention to an increase in headaches, pain in the upper right abdomen, swelling in my hands/feet, increased heartburn, blurred/spotty vision and home bp readings inching towards /100. Next week was my glucose and repeat fetal fibernectin (fFN) test but with today's bp reading we added a few more items to that appt:
  •        Ultrasound to get a base line for baby's growth. High blood pressure can affect what nutrients he gets and therefore stunt his growth. Mernitz wasn't too concerned since I've been measuring growth like I should but a more accurate measurement couldn't hurt if we're going to start battling high blood pressure.
  •        Non stress test. 20-30 minutes hooked up to one monitor for baby's movement and heart rate and one monitor for contractions. I'll have drank the super sugary drink for the glucose test so he should be bouncing all over the place. Might have to record the sounds so everyone will know what I mean when I say he's a mover and a shaker!
Starting at 8:15 we have scheduled:  drink glucola stuff, ultrasound, non stress test, fFN swab and then meet with the doc. Wheh! Needless to say, we're going to be there a while next Wed. Wonder how that'll figure into my allotted time up from bed rest?!  

If you find yourself with a spare minute, say a prayer that this blood pressure issue will resolve itself and we can go back to routine bi-weekly check ins that are boring and normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment