Thursday, October 6, 2011

another graduation

Today we got kicked out of the developmental clinic. As expected - all clear from the developmental doc. Madi's graduated from that program, only have to go back if we have concerns about her development. Praise!! Of course we knew she was exceptional.

The remaining specialist that hasn't been crossed off the list is the cardiologist. Madi goes to see him December 1st. If her PDA is still open his recommendation is surgery to close it. No matter how thoroughly it's explained there is no such thing as an "easy heart surgery" to a parent, or at least not these parents. So the prayer request is that when they do the echocardiogram on December 1st it shows the PDA is completely closed.

I met a new mom of twin boys in the waiting room at the developmental clinic. Their appt was right after ours and I had to chuckle when she asked if Dr. Escobar was on time and the nurse said yes, ahead of schedule. It was 9:40, our appt was at 9:30 and if we're in the waiting room instead of the exam room I can't see how the nurse thought that was "ahead of schedule." Anyway, it was an ice breaker when that lady got settled in. "Um, not really ahead of schedule so you know." She delivered at 34 weeks and both boys had abdominal issues. They also shared the same low carnitine levels as Madi had. We chatted just briefly but she couldn't believe Madi's story. Encounters like this make me wonder about God's plan - was this experience for Dan and I, was it to impact a stranger's life, will it affect what Madi decides to do with her life. I have to admit that in the beginning my Why's were angry but as time's gone on it's more of a curious Why - what's the purpose/impact? I don't expect a moment where the lightbulb goes on and all the sudden we can point and say "That's why" but I do wonder from time to time.

I was a little off when I wrote about Madi's progress towards walking. Twice now she's stood up. Both times we were outside in the yard. She got into her kneeling position and then just stood up. Nothing to hold onto, nothing for balance, right in the middle of the yard just stood up. Neither time has there been a witness or camera nearby. I haven't been able to get her to do it when Dan was around either. I figured she would be standing at the coffee table or couch and then let go, not just pop up into a stand in the middle of the yard. Aye carumba! This is happening way, way too fast. I think I've found a way to postpone her walking if I really wanted to - keep her in shoes. I don't think Madi knows what to think of shoes. She definitely doesn't like having them on in the car. And she walks funny whenever we have her in shoes, like she can't figure out why her feet are so heavy. Madi usually ends up clomping around or standing on her tiptoes the whole time. So shoes may be my secret weapon.

And of course a blog post is no fun without pictures:

look at my teeth!
I have dimples too!
sharing the stick with Bruiser


coming to get the camera
I'm hoping this nice weather holds out and schedules coordinate. If so, I'll have some pretty stellar pictures for you to look at in a couple weeks as we're hoping to get family pictures taken next weekend. Yay!







No comments:

Post a Comment