Monday, January 24, 2011

Madi just got her Synagis shot for January (protects against RSV). It's a fairly quick trip to the doctor. Check-in with the nurse, any questions for the doctor, quick check of length and weight, shot and you're done. We weren't excited about the shot but we were excited to see how much Madi had gained. She didn't disappoint.

Madi is 12lbs 8oz - twelve and a half pounds!!

No wonder she's back to eating every three hours, she's a growing girl! The every three has been wearing on Dan and I and not that it's about us but we were looking for suggestions on how to get at least four, maybe five hours, between her night feedings. Today I asked about adding rice cereal to a bottle at night and didn't get the thumbs up. Our pediatrician's recommendation is to start rice cereal at four months or 14lbs. Bummer! Maybe next month. In the meantime we're going to work on Madi's distaste for formula. The little bugger is a smart one, she can tell when we've fortified a bottle with formula and she won't eat as much. We don't add a lot, one teaspoon to 3-4oz of milk but Madi can taste a difference. Doc recommended taking it down to 1/2t more often and then work back up to 1t in two bottles. Keep these bottles at night so the extra calories are when she's sleeping and hopefully we'll stretch out Madi's night feedings. We are definitely open to suggestion!

The RSV shot is a weighted dose so how much medicine is determined by how much Madi weighs. The syringe can hold 1ml. Madi's dose is at .8ml now so if she gets too big by next month we'll have to go with two shots. Not looking forward to that prospect. I don't think we're going to get out of cold and flu season without a double shot.

We're very lucky that Madi's not a crier. She'll groan and grunt to let us know she's unhappy, maybe cry out once but she doesn't cry enough to require deep breaths in between. Unless it's shot day. I got five minutes of wailing today. Red eyes, big tears, quivering lower lip and flailing arms and legs turned me into a big softie. I dread the day I have to discipline her and be the cause of those tears. I will not say "this hurts me more than it hurts you" because I thought that was the biggest bunch of baloney growing up. I was always willing to trade  emotional pain for a sore backside! What kid wouldn't?/!

Madi seems to have recovered from the trauma of the shot and is sound asleep. From past experience we're in for a night of cuddling. Madi likes to be held and comforted after shots. Any volunteers?

No comments:

Post a Comment